directory-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Boorshtein <mboorsht...@yahoo.com>
Subject BUG: Apache DS does not work on Windows XP (most likely other forms of windows too)
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 03:14:52 GMT
I've been running into this bug for a while, and it
looks like an issue with nio on windows.  Here's the
problem:

C:\Documents and
Settings\mboorshtei002\Desktop\downloads\apacheds-0.8>java
-jar
 apacheds-main-0.8.jar
server: using default properties ...
org.apache.ldap.common.exception.LdapConfigurationException:
Failed to initializ
e the frontend subsystem! [Root exception is
java.io.IOException: Unable to esta
blish loopback connection]
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startUpWireProtocol(
ServerContextFactory.java:557)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.getInitialContext(Se
rverContextFactory.java:228)
        at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown
Source)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown
Source)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.ServerMain.main(ServerMain.java:86)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to establish
loopback connection
        at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl$Initializer.run(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.SelectorProviderImpl.openPipe(Unknown
Source)
        at java.nio.channels.Pipe.open(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorProvider.openSelector(Unknown
Source)
        at java.nio.channels.Selector.open(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.apseda.listener.TCPListenerManager.<init>(TCPListenerManag
er.java:88)
        at
org.apache.apseda.DefaultFrontendFactory.createTCPListenerManager(Def
aultFrontendFactory.java:185)
        at
org.apache.apseda.DefaultFrontendFactory.create(DefaultFrontendFactor
y.java:83)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startUpWireProtocol(
ServerContextFactory.java:552)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: An existing connection
was forcibly closed by th
e remote host
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native
Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown
Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown
Source)
        ... 19 more
server: started in 1092 milliseconds

I get similar erros when trying to run "maven
multiproject:install" from subversion.  It doesn't
appear to be firewall related and there are several
threads on the issue without a lot of resolution.  I
am still reading though them.  I've got no experience
with NIO, so I am affraid I will not be of much help
fix this issue.  here's my java -version:
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.4.2_03-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed
mode)

Here's the current thread I'm reading through:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=459338&start=60

Marc Boorshtein