directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [release][VOTE] Releasing MINA 0.7.1
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 12:27:12 GMT
Sorry that I missed the vote - holidays ...-. Now I'm back, and I don't
feel very comfortable with some little things. Please do NOT take any of
these comments personally, this is not what I have in mind.

First, I have to say that MINA is a great piece of work, and deserve a
big BRAVO. It helps ApacheDS  to be usable, as some tests done two
months ago demonstrate it (I've lost the mails, but they can be found
easily. What I remember is that over 100K simultaneous connection could
be managed with MINA)

Nevertheless, some issues occured with the 0.7 -> 0.9 switch. Mainly,
other ApacheDS subprojects (all the ApacheDS protocol providers) were
brokken, due to some class being renamed or deleted (ProtocolProvider,
ProtocolHandler, and so on). Nothing serious, but time consuming.

I don't want to be seen as a whining, but it seems to me that this
should be avoided. I know that from time to time, it's a must to
deliver, even if it's not perfect, because it is a good thing to have
users and feedbacks. But I think that we are the first users here in
ApacheDS community, and we must at least insure that the deliveries does
not break the base code.

I understand that odd versions are experimental ones, but IMHO they
should assume a certain amount of continuity with even versions.
Deleting classes, interfaces or public methods should be avoided, and
'deprecated' should be preferred. I know that this is something very
difficult when working on a large refactoring, but as soon as a version
as been released, then you have users, whom will see the released
version as a contract between them and us. Breaking this contract is
harmfull...

On the other side, we also can consider that MINA is a standalone
project, and that 0.9 release is necessary but don't have to be linked
with ApacheDS. ApacheDS 0.9.1 could perfectly work with MINA 0.7.1. But
don't you think that, in this case, MINA could be seen as a totally
separated project? What about creating a commons-protocolHandler
project, or whatever? Does MINA has to be a subproject of ApacheDS?

As far as I am concerned, this question will also raise for ASN.1
compiler sooner or later.

May be I'm misleading, but, whatever, it's just my opinion, after all,
and it doesn't have to be followed, I can perfectly understand than I
missed some valid points. Do not think that I want to give advices, or
whatever lessons on 'good behaviour', I'm not smart enough to do that!

And even if I'm not totally wrong, I insist : I don't blame anybody.

So, guys, tell me : did I totally missed the point?

Last thing : is there a history.txt that explains the differences
between each version? This could be very cool to have one ...

Emmanuel Lecharny