directory-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Betts <ch...@pegacat.com>
Subject Re: Command line java clients
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:17:38 GMT
Hi Alex,

    yes, I think I must have been - presumably you were the chap who
contacted me about an 'all java directory' they were working on - as
you say, it was a while ago :-)!

    At the time I was drowning in web services work, and wasn't able to
do anything useful; however now that I'm leaving my old job I'm able to
devote more time to open source, so I've been brushing up JXplorer and
getting the build etc. sorted out.  I put out a stable version 3.1 last
week, and a smaller, neater 3.2 beta a couple of days ago with
rewritten DSML handling.

    I'd be delighted (and I'm pretty sure the original sponsor, Computer
Associates, would also be delighted) to make JXplorer a sub-project of
Apache directory.  I'm not sure how we would go about this from a
practical point of view - I maintain the 'http://jxplorer.org' web site
with some (fairly out of date) documents, and links to a bunch of
easy-to-use 'Install Anywhere' packages for most major platforms.  All
the actual source files / javadoc / install packages are actually
maintained on sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jxplorer).

    Licensing should be easy though; the current JXplorer licence is the
old Apache licence with the word 'Apache' crossed out and 'Computer
Associates' scribbled in instead.  I think changing it back would be
pretty straightforward :-).

    Anyway, something to think about...

    - Chris

P.S. I've tested JXplorer against the 'default' version of apacheDS and
it seems to work fine; however I hit problems loading a jpeg photo into
the default user, presumably because we're still figuring out schema
for non-string data?