directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Mina based SMTP handler
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:21:36 GMT
Hi,

James team is interested in MINA.  Please refer to:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=james-dev&w=2&r=1&s=mina&q=b

Trustin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Trustin Lee <trustin@gmail.com>
Date: 2005. 4. 15 오후 9:10
Subject: Re: Mina based SMTP handler
To: server-dev@james.apache.org

Hi, I'm Trustin.

Mike Heath wrote:
> I've started playing with the Mina sub-project from the Apache Directory
> project.  It's a fine piece of work.  Trustin Lea, the author, is a real
> genius.  For those not familiar with Mina, I think you should check it
> out.  It uses non-blocking IO and is an implementation of the staged
> event driven architecture (SEDA).  SEDA makes it possible to have
> thousands of concurrent network connections.

Nice to meet you!  and thank you a lot for your praise. :)
For guys who don't know how to check out the recent version of MINA:

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/network/trunk mina

It is maven project, so you'll be able to build jar and sitedoc easily.

> I've started rewriting the James SMTP handler to get my hands dirty with
> a real protocol in Mina.  Originally I was just playing around.
> However, things have started to gel and I was wondering if anyone else
> has been working on something similar so we collaborate.

Sounds great.  I also saw a guy who is trying to build an SMTP codec
for MINA:  http://wallace.sourceforge.net/  But I'm not sure if it is
under active development.

I looked at your implementation.  It seems like that you forked my
example TextLineEncoder/Decoder.  It is just a quick implementation
far from perfection as you know.  I want to add full featured
(charset-aware, high-performance) text line codecs to MINA
distribution by default.  I want to implement them by myself, but I'm
a little bit busy these days.  If you implement them before I do, I'll
appreciate and merge them into MINA trunk.

Any questions and compliaints (especially about API usability and
performance) are welcome.  We want to fix any possible issues related
with API design especially before releasing the first version, 0.7.

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

http://gleamynode.net/