directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release date for eve 1.2
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:29:35 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Robert Haycock wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve been looking for a Java LDAP server which implements GSSAPI. I
>> saw that ApacheDS is going to include this in eve 1.2. Does anyone
>> have an expected/likely date for this release?
>>
> Ahh you're looking at the old road map. We might be able to push this
> closer. Basically Enrique and Trustin have shown an interest in building
> a GSSAPI filter for MINA. This would automatically give all MINA
> protocols GSSAPI.
>
> WDYT Enrique, Trustin?

Yup, got this on my todo list, but I have to admit it's #27.

My thoughts:

1)  You're really looking at SASL support for the LDAP protocol, so
we're looking at another JDK 1.5-based MINA filter.  Now that we have
the SSL filter as an example, we should be able to bump up the schedule
for a MINA SASL/GSSAPI filter.  This would be a great contribution.
Hopefully much of the heavy-lifting has been done in the JDK.

2)  Since we have the benefit of Kerberos and LDAP together in the
ApacheDS, we may be able to simplify things and punt on any three-headed
action by having the SASL/GSSAPI LDAP sessions get any keys directly
from the DIT.  This may or may not make things easier, depending on how
the JDK code (assuming it's reusable) wants to acquire and process tickets.

3)  As Alex mentioned, this filter would benefit a number of protocols.

I'm curious as to the target client.  I've used GQ and JNDI with
SASL/GSSAPI/Kerberos ... can JXPlorer do this?

-enrique