directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: GUI technologies
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:03:58 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>>     Re Swing/SWT - I'm not very thrilled with
>>>        Swing, and if I had my time again I'd
>>>        probably write it in SWT, but I don't
>>>        know too much about it :-).
>>>

>>Would this possibly be a good oppourtunity? :-)
>>

>The drawbacks of SWT to normal users are pretty significant.  They need to
>download a specific package built for their platform, there needs to be an
>SWT port for that platform, etc.  See
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=swt+wora for a lots of commentary on
>both sides of the SWT vs WORA debate.

-1 for SWT in general. The performance benefit is really not there and
the complexity it brings to the lifecycle is huge by introducing native
code.

Let's stick to swing. I'd go native if we only had too like with a
plugin to eclipse or with native code to do multicasting - something
like that.

- Alex