directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Interest in JXPlorer as a subproject of Directory
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:40:24 GMT
Hi Chris,

Chris Betts wrote:

> ... and now, a question from me; If we made JXplorer a subproject of
> Apache DS, would I still be able to maintain the jxplorer.org domain
> as a 'front page' (and use it to direct people to the Apache
> subproject site), and would I still be able to ship the stand alone
> install packages for different platforms? Lots of people use JXplorer
> for the big commercial directories (CA's eTrust, Sun One, etc.) and I
> need to be able to keep supporting them..

There are no rules against you incubating jxplorer and maintaining
jxplorer.org. I don't think it can serve as the front page for the
JXPlorer subproject. The subproject will need its own project page
hosted here at Apache under the directory subdomain.

If you're going to make the ASF plunge with the project just do so. You
can still do your releases for the product through the directory
subproject so there really is no need for another site for jxplorer. Why
bring it to the ASF otherwise? You might as well just keep it at
JXPlorer.org then. You're going to need all the community you can get so
the project can graduate the incubater rapidly, so bringing and keeping
those users (perspective committers ;) ) coming to the incubator site is
best.

Thanks,
Alex