directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: LDAP Proxy backend
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:10:42 GMT
Marc Boorshtein wrote:

>--- "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>

>>>Replicas and slaves are designed for single
>>>

>>directory
>>

>>>environments.  A proxy is a step closer to
>>>virtualization in a multi directory environment
>>>

>>(as
>>

>>>opposed to some kind of synchronization system).
>>>

>>Would you want to federate at the proxy, or just
>>have it proxy for multiple
>>domains independently?
>>

>Yes :-).  I've seen both instances where you fedterate
>multiple directories and when you manage seperate
>domains without performing any namespace translation.
>
>it's a building block to virtualization and is one of
>the quickest use cases.

Marc, we don't have one yet but as you might imagine whiping one
together would be trivial.  If you're interested in groking this let me
know I can lend a hand as you navigate the code base?

Also I'm thinking of creating what I call LDAP views and stored procs
which would also help as a building block of virtualization if you see
what I am referring to.  There are several building blocks that we need
in our palette to make it really easy for building a virtual directory.
The proxy backend is low hanging fruit for now.

Alex