directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: DB as backend ?
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2005 21:45:01 GMT
danilo@floripa.com.br wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I was reading a thread about Apache Directory at TheServerSide :
>
>  http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=32324
>
>  On some messages Alex Karasulu talks about use a database as a backend and
>virtual directory on ApacheDS :
>
>  "We hope to have virtual directory capabilities soon. It's just not that hard
>to do once you got the baseline protocols grok'd. Expect to see these
>capabilties emerging within a matter of weeks, perhaps as early as 0.9 or 0.10
>are released."
>  "Richard you can definately do this (use db as a backend) using a custom
>partition implementation. Yes you can plug it in. Actually in a few (maybe
>couple weeks) we'll release 0.9 which will make it much easier to do so.
>  Eventually though we should be able to introduce some virtual directory
>capabilities. Once this is in place you won't have to devise a new custom
>backend. Rather you would use mapping tools to map an RDBM schema to a DIT
>subtree. The VD engine of the server would do the rest."
>
>  As this message is from March 03, 2005 and it talks about a couple of weeks I
>want to ask :
>
>  - any tips on create a custom partition implementation ? What class should I
>extend (or interfaces implement) ?

You might want to look at some interfaces like BackingStore and
ContextPartition in the apachds/trunk/core.  ContextPartition is the
minimum interface that must be implemented for a custom partition.

>  - any way (on the current sources) to "use mapping tools to map an RDBM schema
>to a DIT subtree" ?

You could do that manually but there are people out there working with
ApacheDS to make it have VD capabilities.  These abities are not
presently there now.  I'll give you a heads up when I know more about
developments.

>  - are there any virtual directory features on the current (subversion) or
>planed to the next release (0.9) ?

No unfortunately not at this point but keep an eye out.

Alex