directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Panicker <vino...@gmail.com>
Subject Update on MINA test
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:24:23 GMT
Just wanted to update you guys on the latest.

100K+ concurrent connections reached.

Setup -

- Commented notifyIdleSessions()
- Using latest MINA release 159225
- MINA based single-threaded server
- Blocking I/O based single-threaded client
- Connections fired @ 40/sec
- JVM options -Xmn500M -Xms1000M -Xmx1000M
- Server on Windows 2003 Server - AthlonXP 2400+ (2 Ghz), 1 GB RAM
- Clients on Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2000 Server and Linux 2.6.9-1.667
- Session read buffer size set to 8 bytes

Results -

- Total concurrent connections - 103432
- JVM mem usage - 541M
- JVM VM size - 1.5G
- JVM file handles used - 311,392
- CPU usage after reaching max connections - 30% (consistent)
- CPU usage during test - 100% (after around 5000 connections)
- Connections getting accepted per second degrade but not in a linear
manner (around 100K they were going at around 20/sec but sometimes at
around 2/sec)

Total system wide file handles used - 421919
Total system wide mem usage - 2GB

Current problems observed

- CPU usage during test is consistently 100%
- Memory usage still seems to be on the high side
- Connector takes 100% CPU - blocking I/O based client uses around 4%
- notifyIdleSessions() not being used

Current plan

- To try same test with non-MINA based NIO server and client
- To try same test with non-MINA based Blocking I/O server and client

Basically I want to put a finger on the CPU usage problem.

Also, does any one know what the latest sun jdk (1.5.0_02) uses as the
impl for select() on linux?  Is it select(), poll() or epoll() ?

Regards,
Vinod.