directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brennan Stehling <offwh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to jump to JDK 1.5 (was: Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project mina (in module mina) failed)
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:58:49 GMT
> What are the pros and cons at this point?

I feel that requiring 1.5 will decrease the possible install base
dramatically.  In many corporate environments development will lag
behind and require an older JRE.  In these environments 1.5 is not
even on the radar since 1.3 or 1.4 is in place and working.

Consider that Apple is still at 1.4 with JRE 1.5 coming with OS X
10.4.  No Mac owners will be able to run Apache DS if 1.5 is required.

Also for people who host services with an ISP they must go with what
the ISP provides and moving to 1.5 is not as simple as asking the ISP
to upgrade.

And since I personally run FreeBSD I will not be able to run JRE 1.5
as it is currently marked as pre-alpha.  I am still feeling that 1.4
on FreeBSD is a bit shaky.  SSL may be a desired feature, but if I am
simply going to use Apache DS to look up LDAP information via
localhost and not over the internet I am not very concerned about SSL
protection.

If we consider the competition to this application, such as OpenLDAP
and Bind 9, we already have a smaller possible install base.  Those
services are C programs which have been ported to many platforms while
Apache DS can only run on JRE capable systems.  Sun only provides a
JRE for a select few platforms and Apple, FreeBSD and other platforms
have to fend for themselves.  And they always lag behind the Sun
releases.

So right now the possible installed platforms for JRE 1.5 would be
Windows and Linux when they are lucky enough to get be up to date.
And many Java developers I have been talking with feel that there is
not compelling reason to move to 1.5 so they remain at 1.4.

--
Brennan Stehling : http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/