directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: We are now a TLP guys!!! (FW: ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005)
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:05:08 GMT
Hi,

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:31:38 -0500, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > --On Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:24 AM +0900 Trustin Lee
> > <trustin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I want to anounce this to TheServerSide.com and SlashDot.  Would
> >> announcing this kind of news (exiting incubation) to those sites be
> >> appropriate?
> >

> > Sure.  However, I think you should want to wait until the
> > directory.apache.org (or whatever) site is up and you have a proper
> > home for people to learn more about the project.
> >
> > The point of any communications like this should be to increase
> > participation or visibility - and, hence, I think it makes sense to
> > hold off until everything is in place.
> >
> > BTW, congrats!  -- justin
> >
> Thanks Justin.  I'll start working with Noel on getting the site upto
> directory.apache.org.  Meanwhile I guess we can begin composing it if
> you like while running it by everyone on the list.  Then when the site
> is ready we can decide to pull the trigger on posting it to TSS and to
> slashdot.  So exciting!
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

I wrote the announcement based on the previous one.  Please read this
and tell me whatever needs improvement or is out of date. :)

-------- BEGIN --------
Subject: The Apache Directory Project Exits Incubator

The Apache Directory team proudly annouces the Apache Directory
project graduated incubation under the Apache Software Fouindation
(ASF) according to the ASF Board Summary for February 23, 2005.

Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
and its components where other Internet services snap in to store
their data within the directory so they may be managed using LDAP.
Those services include LDAP itself, DNS, DHCP, SLP, UDDI, NTP, and
most importantly Kerberos, which can integrate with the services to
provide full-featured network authentication service.

Features of ApacheDS:

* Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
* The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special system backend.
* Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and
independently embeddable.
* Provides a server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts
with the backend storage.