directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: [scm] separating JDK specific code
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:41:01 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I'm begining to think playing with 1.4 while using 1.5 for some things
> is going to get really nasty.  Perhaps we need to separate the JDK 1.5
> stuff so people are not building 1.5 jars and deploying them to the
> repo.  If 1.5 jars are deployed they should be totally different
> artifacts.  Either this or 1.5 dependent optional features need to be
> made dynamically loadable.
>
> For example MINA might have the ssl filter separated out into another
> MINA project which would mean MINA would have to go multiproject.
> Perhaps this is not the answer either.  Hmmm anyone got ideas here?

For about 8 months I've been coding ScheduleWorld exclusively in Java 5
and using retroweaver to support 1.4 clients. It's just part of my build
process and I don't have to think about it. As someone else mentioned,
you just need to make sure you don't use libraries/methods exclusive to
1.5 rt.jar.

Cheers.