directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [mina] Performance issues
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:55:20 GMT
Trustin Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:05:55 +0100, Jan Andersson <janne@minq.se> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>

>>>The Connector seems to be working much better now.  Memory consumption
>>>is still an issue with the server running out of memory at around 8000
>>>concurrent connections.

Can I play devil's advocate here?

Handling over 100 simultaneous connections is good (Tomcat doesn't even
do that out of the box).  8,000 simultaneous connections is incredible
for an all Java solution.

So I guess the big thing here is to know when to say "when".  If you
know that 8,000 simultaneous connections is your limit, then don't
accept any more.  Sure we can squeeze out a few more, and we can play
around with that.  However, to have a robust server we need to be able
to avoid being in a situation where a DOS attack can kill the server.
Once you limit the number of connections we deny any more coming in.

Last, but certainly not least, is there any way that we can have
multiple instances of the system up so that a smart router can send
connections to the different instances--allowing the system to scale up
using more machines?

I think it is stellar that MINA is performing as well as it is.