directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Test Design
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:17:18 GMT
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>> If the code does not allow us to pass in our own streams then that
>> would be a point for refactoring to make the system more friendly to
>> testing.  That would also releave the need to poke holes in personal
>> firewalls just so the test can run (something Linux developers need
>> to do).  It also reduces the points of failure and makes it plainly
>> obvious what is an accurately encoded messgae.  Hopefully it will
>> also avoid the problem where the library is consistent with itself
>> but not with production LDAP servers.
>

> Is there anything we can do with MINA here, perhaps a test mode or a
> filter that effectively disables port binding and can shunt traffic to
> test code?  MINA seems the obvious place to put in this sort of test
> support.

Keep in mind that there are unit tests and integration tests.  Unit
tests are designed to test just the library such as the asn1
encoding/decoding.  Integration tests would include MINA as part of the
system to simulate a complete working system.  The unit tests ensure
that the library is consistent with what we expect it to be.  The
integration tests ensure that no issues are introduced when we wire the
different components together.

For the sake of integration testing, I would like to be able to skip the
port binding if it is possible--but it is less critical.

For the sake of unit testing, it is a question of isolating just the
item under test.