directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Contributions with @author tags revisited
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:04:35 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at some of Endi's patches it occurred to me that he has put
> his own email into the @author tag.  I was removing and replacing it
> with the standard nameless directory tag we use.
> Does everyone know that the board made a recommendation to all ASF
> projects to not use individual email addresses in @author tags?
> More importantly does everyone agree with it?  I want especially
> contributors like Endi to really express what they want.  If we stop
> getting contributions because of this policy I'd like to irradicate
> the policy.
> In the days of the incubator we decided to go this route for the
> entire project before many of you were here.  If this is not what you
> like let us know we can change it ... this was a recommendation not a
> rule to follow.  Some projects like Geronimo do not follow it.  Some
> like Jakarta Commons do but some authors have kept their names in there.
>
> At first I was against the removal of @author tags.  Now I totally
> agree with it and appreciate the benefits.  However the benefits are
> not going to emerge (doing away with personal code ownership) unless
> we all take part in it as a community.  This includes committers, and
> contributors.
>
> -- Alex

Keep in mind the preferred practice is to have a central CONTRIBUTORS
file or something similar (see the HTTPD project for an example).  It is
not the process of removing recognition for hard work, but not forever
associating the author's contributions to that source file.  I still get
emails from time to time about Cocoon because my name was in the @author
tags for several of the classes--and I haven't directly contributed to
that project in over a year.