directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Contributions with @author tags revisited
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:41:04 GMT
Hi all,

Looking at some of Endi's patches it occurred to me that he has put his
own email into the @author tag.  I was removing and replacing it with
the standard nameless directory tag we use.

Does everyone know that the board made a recommendation to all ASF
projects to not use individual email addresses in @author tags?

More importantly does everyone agree with it?  I want especially
contributors like Endi to really express what they want.  If we stop
getting contributions because of this policy I'd like to irradicate the
policy.

In the days of the incubator we decided to go this route for the entire
project before many of you were here.  If this is not what you like let
us know we can change it ... this was a recommendation not a rule to
follow.  Some projects like Geronimo do not follow it.  Some like
Jakarta Commons do but some authors have kept their names in there.

At first I was against the removal of @author tags.  Now I totally agree
with it and appreciate the benefits.  However the benefits are not going
to emerge (doing away with personal code ownership) unless we all take
part in it as a community.  This includes committers, and contributors.

 -- Alex