directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Do we want to jump to JDK 1.5 (was: Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project mina (in module mina) failed)
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:23:00 GMT
David Boreham wrote:

>> If this is correct, it still sounds best to me that we attempt to
>> modularise that support so that it can run on 1.4 without SSL
>> support, or run on 5.0 with SSL support turned on.
>

> Well yes. But an LDAP server without SSL is
> of quite limited use in production.

I have a feeling those using it in prod will use it with jdk 1.5 if they
can do that at all.

Oh and btw answering your previous question yes using SSL in 1.4 can be
done but you loose all the gains from NIO.  This is not a good idea with
a statefull protocol.  Just think we'll need a thread per client to
track SSL IO rather than using a selector in NIO.  This will make the
server terribly inefficient as we increase the number of concurrent
connections.  Without NIO stateful protocols don't have a chance in Java
land.

However it should be fine when concurrency is low.  I'd hate to butcher
MINA just for 1.4 compat and SSL.  Regardless its worth inquiring.
Trustin do you think there is a way this can be done without creating a
mess or a massive effort?

Alex