directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert r. Sanders" <>
Subject Re: Configure (Eve) server from properties file.
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:01:40 GMT

    I haven't read the book you note, but I just looked it up and will
think about buying it...  I have done a little JNDI in the past, but not
a huge amount.

    The code I am trying to write tests for is:

The code's goal is to validate a username/password against an LDAP
server (via JNDI) and retrieve a list of roles associated with the
user.  Currently any testing is pretty dependent on a user/developer
having an already working LDAP server; my goal is to have a bunch of
server configurations which can be 'loaded' so I can see if my code
returns the expected results when run against the different
configurations - its more functional than unit testing, but if I can get
it to work it'll be a whole lot better than the way most such code is

David Boreham wrote:

> Robert r. Sanders wrote:
>> I am not trying to test the server; what I'd like to do is test some
>> JNDI code that is designed to work against an LDAP server (OpenLDAP,
>> ActiveDirectory, etc..) by:
>> 2. Telling the server (if possible) to read in some schema + data.
>> 3. Configuring JNDI Client code.
>> 4. Running JNDI Client code tests.
>> 5. Shutting down server.
>> Note that some server specific responses may not be testable this
>> way; that's ok.  What I want to test is that certain client
>> configurations return the expected results when run against known
>> server schemas.
>'ve kind of lost me.  Perhaps you could give an example.
> I don't know what you mean by 'telling the server to read in
> some schema + data'.
>> Any pointers as to where to get started here?  I have been looking
>> around for information, and pretty much everything I've found already
>> assumes you know what it is talking about.
> Perhaps you could say where you're at in learning about this:
> Have you read Tim Howes, Mark Smith and Gordon Good's book for example ?

    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist
    (334) 821-5412

View raw message