directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert r. Sanders" <robert.sand...@ipov.net>
Subject Re: Configure (Eve) server from properties file.
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:02:11 GMT

> Not sure if I am understanding your goals here, but I'll take a stab:
>
> 1. If you're testing, wouldn't you want to write the data via LDAP,
> and read it
> back to verify via LDAP ? (or am I missing something here ? perhaps this
> is a unit test designed specifically to NOT test end-to-end
> functionality?).

I am not trying to test the server; what I'd like to do is test some
JNDI code that is designed to work against an LDAP server (OpenLDAP,
ActiveDirectory, etc..) by:

2. Telling the server (if possible) to read in some schema + data.
3. Configuring JNDI Client code.
4. Running JNDI Client code tests.
5. Shutting down server.

Note that some server specific responses may not be testable this way;
that's ok.  What I want to test is that certain client configurations
return the expected results when run against known server schemas.

> 2. Why not use LDIF ? Or if you like XML, use DSML, which is an XML
> syntax for LDIF.

Any pointers as to where to get started here?  I have been looking
around for information, and pretty much everything I've found already
assumes you know what it is talking about.

> 3. For some kinds of test it's easier to generate the test data
> at run time in the test program (saves having to manage
> LDIF or whatever files, which tends to have to be done
> by a human).
>
> 4. If it saves time, there are plenty of existing LDAP clients
> that will happily read LDIF and send it over-the-wire.

Hmm, I may need to look into option #4 as a way to configure the server
instance...

> Apologies if I've missed the point.

Thanks quite alright, I am not sure that I was making the point very clear.

--
    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist