directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LECHARNY <e.lecha...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject RE: Do we want to jump to JDK 1.5 (was: Re: [GUMP@brutus]: Project mina (in module mina) failed)
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:12:23 GMT
> The difference is that stunnel is a proxy, and is totally transparent to
> both the client and server process.
>
> 	--- Noel

I have seen some LDAP server in production, in quite huge organisations, and no LDAPS at all.
That seems strange, but as the LDAP server was running in a DMZ in which it was quite difficult
to sniff the network... Performance was favored in these cases. And usually, there was a proxy
between LDAP server and client in case performance was not an issue, which proxy was doing
SSL better and faster than any Java SSL stack could.

So does lack of LDAPS is a show stopper? I'm not sure... I have not seen all the LDAP implementation
so far ! My .2 €.

Emmanuel