directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brennan Stehling <offwh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mac NetInfo (was Re: Setting up IDEA with Maven)
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:20:10 GMT
On MacOS X they can generally leverage other applications like Bind
and ISC DHCP which have been around a while.  I think OpenLDAP could
be a good server, but the compile and setup process is difficult.  My
biggest problems were linking in the DBM and security libraries
properly on FreeBSD.

I think we can learn from their problems.  Also, Perl was once the
most popular web scripting language and suddenly PHP took over.   It
was basically the same thing with very similar scripting syntax but it
provided a smoother learning path than Perl and promoted itself better
as a web scripting language.  Their modules for web technologies were
either integrated by default or easier to get than pouring through the
thousands on CPAN.

For Apache DS I hope to focus on work which will help developers
install and use it by providing higher quality documentation than you
can get with OpenLDAP.  And the fact that we can simply deploy it with
all of the necessary dependencies will already give us an advantage.

And if you also compare what Apache DS will be able to do for DNS to
what Bind does, there will also be another advantage.  By placing the
zone data into the directory and providing an intuitive interface
instead of just text files, which may allow for syntax errors, we will
be able to bypass many of the problems which I have experienced with
years of maintaining Bind zones on FreeBSD.

I believe we can emulate what PHP did to Perl for website scripting
and I will do what I can to help.

Brennan

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:38:08 -0500, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> This is really interesting stuff here on Apple's Open Directory 2
> product which is effectively OpenLDAP + MIT Kerberos + Samba:
>
> http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/open_directory.html
>
> This white paper on it shows more details:
>
> http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/L31755A_OpenDirect2_TB_final.pdf
>
> It ust have been a real challenge for them to set up and integrate all
> three servers.  Btw this is all without DNS, DHCP, NTP services.
> Perhaps they have other products in OSX Server to do this.
>
> Alex
>
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
> > Brennan Stehling wrote:
> >
> >> The mac has the NetInfo system which is a sort of directory service.
> >> You can also have it refence other directories for authentication.
> >> Down the road I should experiment with this possiblity.
> >>
> >> Alex, maybe you could enter that as a low priority issue in JIRA and
> >> assign it to me.
> >>

> > Now that's cool.  A few of us actually talked about this.  Mac is
> > probably the worst off in terms of a NOS.  This is a great idea.
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >> Brennan

PC
Mac