directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [asn1] why use TLV objects at all?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:41:39 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>>> I am not in favor of cleaning up old code that's going to be replaced
>>> anyway.  What do you think of the idea of hand writing the stubs for
>>> LDAP using our "new" runtime?
>>
>> Hum, well, do not tell that to Alex : it's not so much a cleaning
>> process ... Much more a wipe out process ;-)
>>
> I'm completely fine with garbage collecting - I think I pointed that out
> in another email.  It's not my code here!  Its our code.  Code ownership
> mentality is *NOT* something we want to promote here or anywhere else at
> the ASF.
> Let's whipe it like apseda.  These are the days I've been praying for.
> People who know what they're doing to come around and fix some obvious
> problems.  I knew just how nasty the ASN.1 code was while writing it but
> I just kept going instead of giving in to my rewrite instincts.  I had
> no choice in this or we would not be able to graduate incubation around
> now.

Yeah, my same two cents on the DER stuff Kerberos is using.  I can't
wait to toss it.

As I mentioned to Emmanuel on chat, it is quite common for Kerberos to
send bad structures to the ASN.1 decoder, so my only wish is for fail-fast.

I don't think I have anything else to add to the ASN.1 discussion, but
when it's ready, I'll do the work to integrate it with Kerberos.  Oh,
and the changepw protocol uses Kerberos infrastructure and has its own
ASN.1 structures, so I'll port changepw, too.  Changepw is described in
RFC 3244 and you can conceptually think of it as the update to kpasswd,
the old Kerberos change password protocol.

-enrique