directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [replication] Master slave replication will not suffice
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:27:14 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Robb Penoyer wrote:

<snip/>

>> - some protocols may not be suited for MMR, some may be tolerant. Is
>> there any reason why the base server couldn't support MSR and MMR on a
>> per service configuration?
>
> Good points Rob. Actually MSR is ok if the service sitting on top of the
> directory backing store is Read only. Then it does not ever need to go
> outside of the JVM to update data in MSR.
>
> Alex

I'd like to make sure people following this thread don't think that
replication is a prerequisite for successful deployment of the ApacheDS.
  Some 9 million businesses in the U.S. are "Small and Home Office"
(SOHO) and most of them would only maintain a single server.  It has
been my experience that around 5-10 "connected devices" (workstations,
servers, etc.) you want to move to dom... err, "realms" and with some
management and UI work we can make it easy to do.

I'm psyched to address enterprise requirements and I can't wait to see
replication ... but hopefully we can take a dual-pronged approach where
the people with the experience and skills can address replication, like
we have good people addressing ASN.1 and MINA, and some of the rest of
us can work on management and UI.

-enrique