directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [asn1] why use TLV objects at all?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:27:14 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>>I am not in favor of cleaning up old code that's going to be replaced
>>anyway.  What do you think of the idea of hand writing the stubs for
>>LDAP using our "new" runtime?
>>

>Hum, well, do not tell that to Alex : it's not so much a cleaning
>process ... Much more a wipe out process ;-)

I'm completely fine with garbage collecting - I think I pointed that out
in another email.  It's not my code here!  Its our code.  Code ownership
mentality is *NOT* something we want to promote here or anywhere else at
the ASF.

Let's whipe it like apseda.  These are the days I've been praying for.
People who know what they're doing to come around and fix some obvious
problems.  I knew just how nasty the ASN.1 code was while writing it but
I just kept going instead of giving in to my rewrite instincts.  I had
no choice in this or we would not be able to graduate incubation around now.

>+1 to hand write the stubs. I was thinking about an XSD -> POJO and
>upper this a hand written stub.

+1 yes I agree.

>Don't misunderstand what I'm saying about XSD -> POJO : it's a Write and
>Forget weapon, something that will cost two or three days, and can be
>put back in a trash bin when the compiler is ready to go by itself.
>
>Any other better ideas?

That's not a bad thing.  We're proposing it for the current runtime - so
why not do it with an intermediate XSD representation.

Alex