directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [replication] Master slave replication will not suffice
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:25:44 GMT
David Boreham wrote:
> Therefore to achieve distribution of service you also need
> to distribute the underlying data. There is some benefit to
> using a single unified mechanism for this (e.g. replicated
> LDAP) : no need to wrangle with N different things ---
> NIS pushes, DNS slaves, Kerberos secondaries, and so on.
>
> Therefore your idea to have an LDAP-based MMR
> mechanism, with local gateway services (NIS, DNS, KRB)
> that use the local copy of the LDAP data, makes perfect sense to me.

Yup, dead on.  The approach with the current services has been to make
them "as dumb as possible"; they exist to service requests, maintain
little state, and as infrequently as possible make changes to the
backing store.  I would add that in addition to the "single unified
mechanism" for distributing data, we will also unify the management
interfaces.

-enrique