directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [replication] Master slave replication will not suffice
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:20:51 GMT

David Boreham wrote:

>> Ahh, the key is that the updates can be asynchronous; including
>> Kerberos threw me.  Can they really be asymchronous?  What if
>> conflicting changes are sent to two different servers?
>

> You need conflict resolution. However, the LDAP/X.500 information
> model is sufficiently simple that it's possible to perform automatic
> conflict resolution.

Cool, this sounds interesting.  Let's say that server A gets an update
to change foo=dog and and the same time server B gets an update to
change foo=cat.  Replication takes a while and 15 minutes later, A gets
the update to change foo=cat from B and B gets the update to change
foo=dog.  How does that get resolved?

Regards,
Alan