directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [asn1] why use TLV objects at all?
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:03:24 GMT

Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>> Emmanuel,
>>>
>>> I was just thinking about your position on object creation.  Namely
>>> the one that is against the creation of Tuple objects that represent
>>> TLVs.  Your proposal to use pooling of these objects worries me a
>>> bit.  It just makes me think there would be a lot of synchronization
>>> overhead.  I may be wrong.
>>>
>>> However I started thinking, "why create Tuples at all?" Follow my
>>> concepts here for a sec even though we have not been discussiong
>>> these constructs: TupleProducers and TupleConsumers.  A producer
>>> simply emits callbacks to a consumer and they are bound to each
>>> other.  What if the callbacks did not pass in a Tuple as an argument
>>> but the components T, L and V of the Tuple instead.
>>

>> Do you even need the L?  You have the V at this point.
>

> The V may be a URI to data held elsewhere while streaming big Tuples
> to disk.  Also L may be of the indefinate form.

I don't understand what the URI has to do with the need of L.  As for
the latter statement, I think you mean that the tuple may be a
constructed encoding.  In that case, I stil agree w/ Enrique in that we
may not need the L.

Regards,
Alan