directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [asn1] Rewrite goals
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:38:37 GMT
Hi,

It's very important that we have open discussions in general "on list"
regarding our objectives with any effort.  We need to start summarizing
stuff on IRC here on list so we don't have miscommunication or have
repeat conversations.  This is critical for our success as a rapidly
expanding community.  We saw how the TLV converstation was almost lost:
what a waste that would have been.  I myself am the most guilty :(, and
must appologize.

So with that said let's come to an agreement WRT to our goals on this
ASN1 rewrite.  Below are some of the goals I have in mind.  Let's add to
them, remove some if need be, and embellish so we can set out on the
right foot together.

NOTE: The fact that trade offs exist between these goals is implied
rather than explicitly stated in some places.

1). We would like to make sure the implementation is easy to comprehend
(requiring as little a learning curve as possible), is easy to maintain
and hence extend.  More importantly we must lean towards making it
easier for users than for implementors of codecs or stub compilers.

2). We would like the runtime to be fast and efficient.  We want to make
sure the runtime more so than the compiler is most efficient both from
the standpoint of time and space.  With the server, a fixed operational
footprint for both encoders and decoders is critical.  Having the
footprint vary as a function of the PDU size makes a server susceptable
to DoS attacks.

3). Different protocols will have different encoding requirements or
restrictions.  Furthermore different ASN.1 encodings will incur more
costs since they have more rules.  There is no need to compromise
performance for a generalized solution.  Using a combination of patterns
we should be able to squeeze as much performance as possible without
comprimizing ease of use while meeting the needs of different encodings:
ultimately the needs of different protocols.  Separate implementations
can be made plugable to reduce overheads while keeping the
implementation extremely easy to comprehend, debug and maintain.
Overall we want to have some semblence of a generalized or unified ASN.1
runtime approach without paying for the penalties.  I think this will
put the patterns we choose to use to the test.

4). With #3 its clear we want a unified interface for codecs even if
implementations under the hood are made pluggable when the protocol and
encoding is determined.

5). We must also consider how the constructs in the runtime effect the
stub compiler.  We want the prioritize a few things in the runtime over
the compile time such as performance.  However we must draw a line where
runtime constructs make it difficult or impossible for a stub compiler
to generate code.  These trade offs I think will make themselves more
apparent as we begin to investigate patterns and mechanisms for the
runtime in conjunction with the build time.  This is not, at all, an
easy thing to foresee.

Perhaps most importantly we need to make sure all ideas regarding ASN1
are in the open.  I'm sounding like a broken record here, I know!  But I
mean this in more than just a "put it on the list" sort of way.  For
example, Alan has some great pattern useage in his branch and Emmanuel
has great ideas he's putting forth in his wiki.  Let's begin tabula raza
and make sure everyone is expressing their ideas yet again even if
documented or within a code branch.  We can each delve into the work of
others to look and learn but we should give some effort towards directly
conveying the ideas we think are of value.  This will save time while
investigating what others are doing.

Do not presume others know what we have already discussed or what you
(anyone) have cached within your head.  Take nothing for granted and
presume people have not looked at your wiki, your online docs, or what's
in your branch.

Let's start fresh, together!

Cheers,
Alex