directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Consolidate snickers projects into runtime and compiler
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:05:30 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Thanks for the advice.  Let's not go with what I proposed.
>
> I now have a new proposal, keep trunk the same except move my branch
> stuff into the trunk.  We would have two new directories, runtime and
> compiler.  Emmanuel and I can work on the new runtime in runtime.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm all for the runtime and compiler subproject consolidation.  You got
the right idea here.  Let's do it!  But let's make sure we take the sum
total of ideas floating around.   Meaning, factor in your ideas which
you have demonstrated in your ber-decoder branch and Emmanuel's ideas as
well as some of my own.  Ideas which are pertinent to the issues of ASN1.

I think collaboratively we can arrive at what you are hoping for and
then some.  Let's make sure this is our last rewrite for our ASN1
initiative.  Let's make sure we have an architecture that only takes new
features and fixes to last us from now until the end of time.  Of course
this is not always certain and a lofty goal however if we work together
patiently we can get really close.  Let's make this current effort a
model of collaboration at directory which all other ASF projects run by.

Thanks,
-Alex

P.S.  Please don't be dismayed by my reluctance to go to the new Maven
layout.  I just don't want to introduce a new build configurations and
other factors as we try to grok the core issues here.