directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Consolidate snickers projects into runtime and compiler
Date Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:58:55 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I have merged all the ASN1 code into a unified multi-project maven
> setup in asn1/branches/ber-decoder. I propose that we use this setup
> instead of the project heirarchy that we have in trunk.  All the code
> is neatly in the modules directory.  The maven site target now works
> correctly.  Finally, this setup paves the way for the ASN1 refactoring
> that has been discussed on and off as of late.
>
> Thoughts?

Sorry for taking too long to respond - I had to ask a few questions and
get answers regarding your approach with the new proposed maven layout.

I asked Jason Van Zyl and he does not consider this layout a standard
and *HIGHLY* recommends against using this approach.  If Jason and Brett
do not recommend this then I don't want to go there.  However the layout
thing has nothing to do with code consolidation or making the changes to
the architecture that you propose.  Having subordinate runtime and a
compiler subprojects can still be the case using the current
multiproject setup we have.  There is no need for layout changes.

If Brett supports it then I may consider it but after weeks of setting
up our build as it stands today I do not think he'll buy this new
configuration.  He would have set us up this way day one.

Thanks,
Alex