directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [graduation] Our next step
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:45:09 GMT
Hi,

Now that the vote has closed and we all demonstrated our desire to graduate
the incubator to become The "Apache" Directory Project, a top level Apache
project, we need to ask the ASF Board of Directors to make this a
reality.  In
the end, the foundation makes the final call through the Board.  The
Board is
given its power to manage and protect the interests of the ASF by the
members
of the foundation.  The request or proposal to become a TLP has
traditionally
been drafted and submited by the community.  We simply have to ask the Board
to consider it on their next board meeting agenda.  The next board
meeting this
month is on the 23rd.

Preparing the document is simple, however there are some points we must
decide
upon together as a community.  These include the set of individuals who
will
compose the PMC of this new top level project.  If there are any questions
regarding what a PMC is and what it does please take a look here:

http://incubator.apache.org/directory/community/process/pmc.html

Furthermore we must choose a PMC Chair to represent our community.  A
chair has
special responsibilities, distributed between obligations to the
community and
to the ASF Board of Directors.  However, note the final decision as to who
will become the PMC Chair is really up to the discretion of the board.  Our
choice is hence a recommendation and it is not final.

Other than these details the rest of the resolution document is rather
cookie
cutter.  Once we decide who is to be in the PMC and who is to Chair our PMC,
I can prepare the document and mail it to board@apache.org, asking that
it be
considered for the 23rd as part of the meeting agenda.

Traditionally these discussions about who will be on a PMC are conducted on
a private mailing list.  We have one of those: directory-ppmc@i.a.o.  I
would post this
mail to that list however I've found some people on it are old
committers who are
no longer participating on the PPMC.  More importantly I don't think
this is very
"open" and community oriented.   So I would like to make a request to our
entire community for nominations.  Nominations both for the PMC and for a
single person to act as the Chair of the PMC.  All are welcome to
nominate and
second, third et. cetera. the person or persons they feel should be on
the PMC
or be selected as our PMC Chair recommendation.  The one limitation is
that the
people nominated must at least be committers.  It's pretty hard to help
manage a
project if you are not a committer :).  However noncommitters can
certainly nominate.
If there are issues they will be resolved on the ppmc list.

To try and organize this as best as possible please add your nominations
under
the following lists:

Nominations for Members of the PMC
[list names here]

Nominations for PMC Chair Person Recommendation
[list names here]

Thanks,
Alex