directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Virtual Directory (or LDAP Proxy)
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:30:48 GMT
Adison Wongkar wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>

>>Well a combination of approaches can be used. You can wrap backends
>>around disparate data sources to access them in a standard mannar.
>>
>>I think you may need to do both but time will tell. With other LDAP
>>servers you never had
>>a choice: a backend was the only option. With ApacheDS you
>>have an added
>>degree of
>>freedom that may allow you to do even more.
>>

>We're thinking at least initially we would implement the virtual directory
>component as a backend. Ie. implementing the
>org.apache.ldap.server.BackingStore or
>org.apache.ldap.server.ContextPartition 's methods
>(add/delete/modify/search/lookup etc.).

Hmmmm you could certainly do that but I recommend against this
approach.  It's probably the easiest thing to do for you though.
However we would like to parameterize the virtual directory
specification as part of view management.

Is this related to the stuff yall are doing at http://openvd.org?

>NB: I also like the interceptor chain piece of the architecture. Perhaps we
>can do something like ACL rules mapping, instead of just DIT & attributes
>mapping.

Could you explain this?  I'm interested.  I suspect by ACL you are
refering to Access Control Lists.  One thing we can definately use is an
authorization mechanism in the server.  Please tell me more.

Alex