directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Virtual Directory (or LDAP Proxy)
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:35:40 GMT
Adison Wongkar wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>I see you have the "interceptor chain". I've actually been wondering whether
>it would be most efficient to implement the virtual directory as "backend"
>or as "interceptor".

Well a combination of approaches can be used. You can wrap backends
around disparate data sources to access them in a standard mannar.

>Currently our implementation works as a backend (we originally designed it
>as a backend for openldap). So we have our own join & caching engine. This
>component has adapters that can talk with databases (via jdbc) and ldaps
>(via jndi) and somehow process them according to the mapping rules into a
>join/cache database. LDAP operations (search/add/modify/delete, etc.) are
>applied to this cache as well as the original data sources. This join/cache
>database can be in-memory db (such as hsql) or persistent db.

OK

>Most of ldap servers (including ApacheDS) has a notion of backend. So, I
>would imagine our implementation would be more portable if implemented as
>backend.

I think you may need to do both but time will tell. With other LDAP
servers you never had
a choice: a backend was the only option. With ApacheDS you have an added
degree of
freedom that may allow you to do even more.

None of these backends are compatible so you don't gain much by keeping
it as just a backend.

>However, I'd like to see if implementing virtual directory
>component as interceptor would be the optimal way to do it. I'll learn more
>to find out. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
>I see you've been involved with the RFC 3672. It's really cool to have LDAP
>view. Do you know how close it is to being ratified?

No actually I have not been involved with 3672 at all. I've been playing
with the idea of submitting a new draft for defining views in a standard
manner.