directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Mac NetInfo (was Re: Setting up IDEA with Maven)
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:38:42 GMT
Brennan Stehling wrote:

>On MacOS X they can generally leverage other applications like Bind
>and ISC DHCP which have been around a while.  I think OpenLDAP could
>be a good server, but the compile and setup process is difficult.

Yeah that was one of my gripes with it.  Then there is the interop side
with MIT Kerberos of Himdhal.  You ever try that.  It's insane - I don't
think I have ever been successful at it.  Plus look under the hood and
try to navigate that code base with all the #IFDEFS that chew it up.  I
thought I could add triggers to this code but it was very brittle so I
gave up and started from scratch in Java.

>I think we can learn from their problems.

Great attitude!

>For Apache DS I hope to focus on work which will help developers
>install and use it by providing higher quality documentation than you
>can get with OpenLDAP.  And the fact that we can simply deploy it with
>all of the necessary dependencies will already give us an advantage.

Awesome we really need help with that as you can see from our site.  The
spelling errors are probably all my doing.  Even the people on this team
that are not native English speakers write better I, haha.  Plus quality
documentation is the mark of a really healthy OSS project I think so
this will be great.

>And if you also compare what Apache DS will be able to do for DNS to
>what Bind does, there will also be another advantage.  By placing the
>zone data into the directory and providing an intuitive interface
>instead of just text files, which may allow for syntax errors, we will
>be able to bypass many of the problems which I have experienced with
>years of maintaining Bind zones on FreeBSD.

I can't wait to start playing with DNS actually.  I'm working on a few
things so I can make some time to start generating all the Object and
State Factories for these protocols from schemas.  After that point I'll
grab DNS for a lil bit.  Enrique and I played with Kerberos over the
past few days getting some features in there.  We had a blast making
Linux and the Kerberos Jaas module work with it.

>I believe we can emulate what PHP did to Perl for website scripting
>and I will do what I can to help.

I think we certainly can start another Internet/OSS phenomenon here.
It's up to us right?  There are so many incredible things ApacheDS
brings to the table for the first time in terms of technology but more
importantly I'm begining to see some serious community cohesion.  That
is what will make us more successful than just having the right
technology in the right place.  For example when guys like you grab
ahold of something, share ideas and help move this project we're doing
very well as a community.

Thanks,
Alex

>Brennan
>
>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:38:08 -0500, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>This is really interesting stuff here on Apple's Open Directory 2
>>product which is effectively OpenLDAP + MIT Kerberos + Samba:
>>
>>http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/open_directory.html
>>
>>This white paper on it shows more details:
>>
>>http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/L31755A_OpenDirect2_TB_final.pdf
>>
>>It ust have been a real challenge for them to set up and integrate all
>>three servers.  Btw this is all without DNS, DHCP, NTP services.
>>Perhaps they have other products in OSX Server to do this.
>>
>>Alex
>>
>>Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>>Now that's cool.  A few of us actually talked about this.  Mac is
>>>probably the worst off in terms of a NOS.  This is a great idea.
>>>
>>>Alex

 My PC
Mac

is