directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [OT] [Trivia] How big is our code base?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:54:17 GMT
I agree with all of this - I'm really glad someone took the inititive to
stand up and lead us to a better path.  All the +++1's are inline.

Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Alex, Trustin,
>
> In light of the size of the codebase, this is a good time to take a step
> back and review the conceptual homogeneity of the component and package
> layout.  Some suggestions:

Good advice true - I was getting a bit worried about the size.

> 1)  Move all the protocol providers into their own folder, including
> LDAP.  This would remove NTP, Kerberos, DNS, Changepw, and DHCP from the
> top level.  Within each of these subprojects I further propose to keep
> the component and package layout the same.  Right now I have been using
> core, main, and protocol.  It would be great to get LDAP and the other
> protocols into a unified convention.

Absolutely ++++1 to that.

> 2)  Move LDAP to MINA.  NTP, Kerberos, DNS, Changepw, and DHCP currently
> all uni-jar with MINA.  We of course want to have LDAP on MINA and
> Trustin has this for February.

++++1

> 3)  Consolidate ASN.1.  LDAP and Kerberos use different ASN.1 codebases,
> a result of their independent development.  We've discussed this and of
> course work has begun.

++++1

> 4)  Break out a kerberos-common.  Right now changepw depends on
> kerberos-core, which is one big package.  In the future kerberos-common
> could also be used for kerberos and changepw clients.

Yeah I see what you mean.  This is similar to the way we have LDAP
partitioned right now.  There's the ldap trunk with common library code
and clients and other pieces of the puzzle for LDAP.  Then you have the
server core and then the server protocol that talks LDAP over the wire
in the apacheds side.  This approach you are suggesting makes even more
sense than the LDAP case because you have other protocols that depend on
the Kerberos common and utilties classes you have such as changepw.
Plus other protocols that are unrelated like DNS or LDAP will need to
depend on this kerberos common library.  It will be nice to depend on
this and not have deps on the ApacheDS Kerberos service.

Yeah this is definately a good route to go.

++++1

> To reiterate:
> Enrique:    move protocols to protocols dir.
> Alex:       break out LDAP protocol, move to protocols dir.

fine by me

> Trustin:    convert LDAP to MINA, adopt package conventions.
> Alex et al: new ASN.1 library.

yep I think we have some help with this thanks to Emmanuel and perhaps
even Allan

> Alex et al: move LDAP to new ASN.1 library.

no problem

> Enrique:    move Kerberos and Changepw to new ASN.1 library.
> Enrique:    break out kerberos-common and update kerberos and changepw.
>
> Other than the ASN.1 library, the rest should be easy to do this month.

Perhaps we can fit it all in ;)  - I'd love to release a 0.9 that has
serious performance and feature advances in the next one or two months.
We want to release often.