directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] [Trivia] How big is our code base?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:03:48 GMT
Alex, Trustin,

In light of the size of the codebase, this is a good time to take a step
back and review the conceptual homogeneity of the component and package
layout.  Some suggestions:

1)  Move all the protocol providers into their own folder, including
LDAP.  This would remove NTP, Kerberos, DNS, Changepw, and DHCP from the
top level.  Within each of these subprojects I further propose to keep
the component and package layout the same.  Right now I have been using
core, main, and protocol.  It would be great to get LDAP and the other
protocols into a unified convention.

2)  Move LDAP to MINA.  NTP, Kerberos, DNS, Changepw, and DHCP currently
all uni-jar with MINA.  We of course want to have LDAP on MINA and
Trustin has this for February.

3)  Consolidate ASN.1.  LDAP and Kerberos use different ASN.1 codebases,
a result of their independent development.  We've discussed this and of
course work has begun.

4)  Break out a kerberos-common.  Right now changepw depends on
kerberos-core, which is one big package.  In the future kerberos-common
could also be used for kerberos and changepw clients.

To reiterate:
Enrique:    move protocols to protocols dir.
Alex:       break out LDAP protocol, move to protocols dir.
Trustin:    convert LDAP to MINA, adopt package conventions.
Alex et al: new ASN.1 library.
Alex et al: move LDAP to new ASN.1 library.
Enrique:    move Kerberos and Changepw to new ASN.1 library.
Enrique:    break out kerberos-common and update kerberos and changepw.

Other than the ASN.1 library, the rest should be easy to do this month.

-enrique