directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [OT] [Trivia] How big is our code base?
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 06:16:28 GMT
I got curious after Emmanuel asked me how big our code base was.  I took
a guess and figured the whole directory project probably had like 200K
lines of code in it.  Emmanuel guessed like 250K lines.  It nagged me a
little cuz we really had no clue so I wrote and checked in a script to
occationally report the number of lines within each trunk.  Here's what
the first run reported:

lines of code in ./ldap/trunk = 99386
lines of code in ./naming/trunk = 15850
lines of code in ./apacheds/trunk = 63578
lines of code in ./asn1/trunk = 30759
lines of code in ./sandbox/trunk = 3630
lines of code in ./ntp/trunk = 1618
lines of code in ./apseda/trunk = 15177
lines of code in ./kerberos/trunk = 12947
lines of code in ./dns/trunk = 4242
lines of code in ./changepw/trunk = 2291
lines of code in ./network/trunk = 14353
lines of code in ./protocol/trunk = 583
lines of code in ./dhcp/trunk = 4911
lines of code in ./authx/trunk = 8071
Total: 277396

I was a little shocked to see these numbers.  That's a boat load - this
is mostly from 16 months of incubation.  I guess we were both off a
little bit.  Overall too much code is a bad thing so this number might
not be something to be proud of.  However note that a lot of code within
the ldap and apacheds trunks is generated by antlr and the directory
plugin.  It would be interesting to see just how much hmmmm....

-Alex