directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Ldap clients
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:33:44 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>Hi,
>
>is there any functionnal difference between :
>org.apache.ldap.clients.standalone
>and
>org.apache.ldap.clients
>?
>
>Does some unit tests exist for those classes? I don't think so, but I
>may be wrong.
>
>What about org.apache.ldap.clients.ldaptest : is it a kind of UI to test
>Ldap clients operations? I've launched it after having crafted a minimal
>XML configuration file, but I can't Add tests cases. Any clue?

Emmanuel, your guess is as good as mine.  It's been over a year and a
half since I looked at the client code.

Jeff Machols (primary guy who was working client code) and I started
talking about building an LDAP test suite for both performance and for
protocol testing.  We were going to use it to collect information about
how well ApacheDS performs in relation to other servers.  I think some
of the XML work was to design test cases around client requests for this
purpose.  Perhaps if Jeff is listening he can shed some light on this.

The stuff in client top pkg look almost exactly the same as the
standalone stuff.  I have no idea why Jeff may have structured it this
way.  Perhaps he was going to do some refactoring but descided not to
after copying stuff into a new package.  That too does not make sense
since he would have copied the trunk to branches.

Here's my recommendation to you.  If you want to totally revamp this go
right ahead.  Take what ever you can use from it and we'll just replace
the trunk with new code (granted if it passes review which I think it
will).

Is this preferrable for you?

Cheers,
Alex