directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tence <>
Subject Re: Philosophy of failing tests
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:02:23 GMT
In fact when you test drive your code, the cycle is really one of writing
the test, making it pass and refactoring. You *don't* build up a unit
tests inventory. It's a step by step progress. So there's no issue with
automated builds.

Implementing TDD is hard only because it requires a lot of discipline. But
once you do it right, you get tremendous benefits.

My own 2 cents ;-)

- Vincent

> With the test-driven development model you would write most of the
> unit tests in the beginning of the project and as you pass more and
> more tests you can track your progress.  I see the appeal to that
> technique but implementing can be hard if not impossible with
> unwritten code.  And it also messes up the build reports from the
> automated builds.
> That said, I suggest introducing new unit tests on a probation status
> and link them to JIRA issues so the tests will be used to complete the
> issue.  Once the test passes it should indicate the issues has been
> completed.
> That's my 2 cents.
> --
> Brennan Stehling :