directory-dev mailing list archives

From "David Boreham" <da...@bozemanpass.com>
Subject Re: [replication] Master slave replication will not suffice
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:30:58 GMT
> backing store.  I would add that in addition to the "single unified
> mechanism" for distributing data, we will also unify the management
> interfaces.

Yes, but be careful here : it unifies the mechanism to access
the data, but not the schema nor the semantics. For example
you still need special code to, say, create a new DNS host
(because it needs to know to create the forward and reverse
record); or special code to generate an NIS automount record.

But the benefits to having a single mechanism to
read and write the data are certainly significant.