directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Adison Wongkar" <adi...@vergenet.com>
Subject RE: Virtual Directory (or LDAP Proxy)
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 04:10:44 GMT
Hi Alex,

> Well a combination of approaches can be used. You can wrap backends
> around disparate data sources to access them in a standard mannar.
>
> I think you may need to do both but time will tell. With other LDAP
> servers you never had
> a choice: a backend was the only option. With ApacheDS you
> have an added
> degree of
> freedom that may allow you to do even more.

We're thinking at least initially we would implement the virtual directory
component as a backend. Ie. implementing the
org.apache.ldap.server.BackingStore or
org.apache.ldap.server.ContextPartition 's methods
(add/delete/modify/search/lookup etc.).

The virtual directory component:
- has mapping configuration (in XML)
- has working join & cache db (in memory or persistent)
- currently has adapters to databases and directories (we call these our
data sources)
- can map & combine attributes from the data sources

Feel free to let me know what you think of this.

NB: I also like the interceptor chain piece of the architecture. Perhaps we
can do something like ACL rules mapping, instead of just DIT & attributes
mapping.

Cheers,
Adison