directory-dev mailing list archives

From "David Boreham" <da...@bozemanpass.com>
Subject Re: [replication] Master slave replication will not suffice
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:09:46 GMT
> So what we need is multimaster replication.

Probably. Having a single point of failure for
writes tends to upset folk, even though in reality
for most purposes it's ok (e.g .almost all
RDBMS have this property too, but that doesn't
tend to cause concern).

> This is an order of
> magnitude more complex than master slave replication.

More complex, but I'm not sure about order of magnitude.
I've worked on code for both kinds. I do believe that
multimaster requires more clarity of thought in the
design, and it's much easier to do if it's in mind from
the beginning (vs. retrofit to an existing single master
design).

I believe that some of the techniques used for
MMR are patented by various usual suspects.

BTW, I think you are correct that a JMS
implementation can be used, but that only
solves part of the problem: reliable transport
of replication updates to replicas. It turns out
that this isn't a particularly large or particularly
hard pard of the overall multimaster solution,
but it's surely better to re-use than re-invent.