directory-dev mailing list archives

From BERGER ROLAND <R.BER...@sbb.ch>
Subject Server.xml to Naming.xml Transformer
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
--- Erhalten von  SYSUEXT.UE05588 +41 51 220 49 56          20.01.05 10.55

Hi Phil

Because I caught a cold the implementation of a server.xml to naming.xml
transformer was delayed but here it is.

See the test case to have an example how I propose the XMLConfigurator and
the Transformer should work together.

The attachment is not a patch since all sources are new ;-) but thanks for
the information regarding patches.

Do you think this transformer will be included in the naming package?

Regards
Roland

BTW:

From: phil@steitz.com
To: roliberger@bluewin.ch
Cc: directory-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:10:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [naming] ResourceLinks

Roland Berger wrote:
> Hi Phil
>
> I have changed the naming.dtd to allow resourclink elements.
> The attached winrar compressed file contains all the changed and new
> sources.

Looks good, though we need to talk about nested contexts.

> Please note the following:
>
> - XMLConfigurator allows more than one context. This was done by
> removing your ugly hack. After that all the XMLConfigurator test cases
> were broken. After some hours I found out that the method
> destroyInitialContext() did not work correctly when more than one
> binding existed in the inital context.  See the comments in the method.
> The new implementation is still not the best. An iterator over a
> collection, wich allows delete operation during iterating over the
> collection would be nice. Obviously NamingEnumerator does not.

Also looks good on initial review. More tests would be good.

> - The global naming context is indicated by an empty name attribut of
> the context element. The global context is the initial context.

That is fine by me.

> - The context used in ResourceLinkRef is initialized in
> setupInitialContext(). I'm not sure if this a good solution since I
> don't know the concepts of the SelectorContext class. Please check if
> this soulution works also when the SelectorContext is used instead of
> the NamingContext.

The SelectorContext is just a delegating wrapper for NamingContext that
routes requests from bound threads / classloaders to their bound
contexts.  This should be OK.

> - By mistake I have reformated the source code. Sorry. Is there an
> apache wide style guide or better a config file for eclipse an intellij?

As a general rule, it is best to follow the style of the surrounding
code.  The bulk of the naming code came from tomcat, which more or less
follows the Sun standard coding conventions.  The config package is a
little different.  Don't worry about this issue specifically, but see
important comment below.

> - Let me know if you are going to commit the source or if my changes
> does not meet the concepts you have defined for this project. If you'll
> commit it I will keep my work in sync, otherwise I'll go my own way.

I would be happy to keep working with you on this, incorporating ideas
and feedback from others as well. It will be easier for all involved if
you submit patches instead of source archives.  Assuming you have a
subversion client installed, you can get a patch by just navigating to
the directory in your local checkout where the changed file(s) are
located and typing

svn diff > name.patch

where name describes the patch.  Since the diff flags *all* lines that
you have changed, its much better not reformat unchanged code as you
make changes.  That makes it easier for all of us to see what has
changed.  Its also best to open Jira tickets to track issues /
improvements and to attach patches to them.

Here are some useful links on contributing
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html#patches (though need the
next one for how to work with svn)
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html

I will finish reviewing and commit most of your last submission as is,
so don't worry about redoing that. Just please submit diffs in the future.

> - On monday I'll implement a server.xml to naming.xml transformer. Are
> you interested in this?

Most definitely.

> - If I still have time I'll think of a solution for the nesting context
> stuff.

That would be great.

Thanks!

Phil