directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Tencé, Vincent" <vte...@optimuminformatique.com>
Subject RE: [asn.1] sitedocs update for 0.3 dev cycle - new refactoring p age is up
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:55:10 GMT
> When you speak of factoring behaviorial differences into
> specialized subclasses, do you mean factoring the factoring
> behaviorial differences of the *general* encoders, e.g. BER, CER, DER?

I was talking about the tuples subclass hierarchy presented on the
refactoring page on the web site.

> I also am in agreement that the Tuple code should be
> replaced.  It makes way too many objects and iirc uses a
> production rule style for decoding, which can be pretty slow.
>  The tack that I've taken, and am working on in the ASN1
> branch, is to compile the ASN1 module into specialized
> encoders/decoders that are specific to that ASN1 module.
> There could be a version for BER, DER, etc.  The speed
> increase of this is pretty good, my simple SPNEGO BER example
> takes an order magnitude less time than what Snacc4J does.

That's excellent!

> I'd welcome any help that is offered but, it seems like
> you're having a fun time exploring your ideas.

I wasn't aware you were working on asn1 too. I wanted to give Alex some
feedback and shake some ideas, not work on this on my own.
Is your work related to the refactoring Alex posted on the web site? I must
confess I'm a bit lost right now.

Cheers,
Vincent