directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Tencé, Vincent" <vte...@optimuminformatique.com>
Subject RE: [asn.1] sitedocs update for 0.3 dev cycle - new refactoring p age is up
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:43:46 GMT
Keep in mind that my comprehension of the whole thing is limited at this
time.

What I'm trying to understand is how the tuple interfaces are going to be
used. If I'm not mistaken,
the BERDecoder/BEREncoder is manipulating tuples. How do you envision that
those interfaces will be used?
It looks like decoders/encoders will need to know the specific type of the
tuples they're working on
to use them properly.

More reply inline.

Sorry by client code I meant code using the Tuple class, i.e. Decoder.

> > Since they all expose different interfaces, how are codecs
> supposed to
> > manipulate them? I would have thought we wanted to hide their
> > differences in behaviour as an implementation detail rather than
> > expose them. This way codecs could manipulate the all the
> tupples the
> > same way.
> >
> I agree with you totally.  Tuple is not to be an exposed
> class.  Sorry
> your confusion is my fault.
>
> > I tend to favor a Tell, Don't Ask style of programming, so
> I'm always
> > suspicious about getters and classes that are willing to
> disclose too
> > much of their internal affairs ;-) Rather than have generic
> interfaces
> > for decoders/encoders and tuples that expose their implementation
> > details,
>
> Is this what is being done?

The Encoder and Decoder interfaces look very generic. On the other hand, the
Tuple interfaces
are much richier and provide a lot of details.

> > what if we could factored out the operations we want to do with the
> > tuples into TLV specialized encoders/decoders interfaces?
>
> So don't specialize the Tuple just the higher level exposed API?

I'm having trouble getting understood again ;-) Still trying to figure
out what operations we want to do on tuples. I can see we can get some
values out of the tuple using getters:

isConstructed(), isLengthDefinate(), ...

but I'm not sure how this information will be used yet. I'd like to look
at the why we want this information to see if we can come up with a useful
abstraction that helps us manipulate all tuples the same way.

> > That would leave us with a much simplier TLV abstraction that our
> > codecs can manipulate the same way without knowing about
> constructed
> > vs primitive vs streamed tuples.
>
> Can you elaborate some more on this?  How can we do this - do
> you have
> an example that could make seeing the picture easier?

My reasoning is that we'll have a lot of different tuples to encode/decode
with
a single decoder at a time. So I wouldn't care much if my coder (meaning
either
decoder or encoder) interface is designed towards coding tuples only if it
lets me
deal with all sorts of tuples in a simple and single way.

I'm afraid my understanding is still too limited to come up with a useful
example.