directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][release] Announcing the release of ApacheDS 0.8,
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:00:53 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:55:35 -0600, Brian W. Fitzpatrick
<fitz@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > team members.  Noel Bergman told me PRC must be involved for all press
> > releases, so I'm posting the announcement statement to see this is OK.
> >
> > Here is the announcement statement I wrote:
> >
> > -------- BEGIN --------
> > Apache Directory team is pleased to announce the release of ApacheDS
> > 0.8, a pure-Java LDAP server.
> >
> > Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
> > and its components where other Internet services ( DNS, DHCP, SLP,
> > UDDI, ... ) snap in to store their data within the directory so they
> > may be managed using LDAP.
>
> "The primary goal of the Apache Directory Project is to build...".  I'd
> rephrase and pull the TLAs out of the parentheses--maybe divide into 2
> sentences?
>
> > Features:
> >
> > * Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
> > * The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special
> > system backend.
> >   * JMX compliance is pending.
>
> Change to active voice: "Pending JMX compliance"
>
> > * Java based triggers and stored procedures are being implemented.
>
> Active voice.
>
> > * Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and
> > independently embeddable.
>
> Same.
>
> > * A server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts with the
> > backend storage.
>
> Not a sentence.
>
> > * Based on a simple Staged Event Driven Architecture (SEDA) which can
> > handle large amounts of concurrency.
>
> Kind of weak.
>
> > Please note that the Directory Project is an effort undergoing
> > incubation at the Apache Software Foundation (ASF).  While incubation
> > status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or
> > stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be
> > fully endorsed by the ASF.
> >
> > Check ApacheDS at: http://incubator.apache.org/directory/
>
> I think the content of the announcement is great, but it could use a
> little bit of "strength" in its presentation.  These are just my
> recommendations--feel free to ignore them. :)
>
> > -------- END --------
>
> Please add this paragraph to the end:
>
> The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and
> financial support for a broad range of open source software projects.
> The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual
> property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits
> contributors potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and
> meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver
> enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large
> communities of users.
>
> > Is it OK to post the announcement by myself, or is there any person
> > who does it for me?
>
> This isn't an "official" press release, so as long as your project's
> PPMC gives it the thumbs up, you're golden.

Here is the modified version.  Please give me feedback.

-------- BEGIN --------
Apache Directory team is pleased to announce the release of ApacheDS
0.8, a pure-Java LDAP server.

Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform
and its components where other Internet services snap in to store
their data within the directory so they may be managed using LDAP.
Those services include LDAP itself, DNS, DHCP, SLP, UDDI, NTP, and
most importantly Kerberos, which can integrate with the services to
provide full-featured network authentication service.

Features:

* Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
* The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special system backend.
* Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and
independently embeddable.
* Provides a server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts
with the backend storage.