directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: Questions about ASN.1 codec
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:35:29 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>I read something about the ASN.1 compiler that is on its way, but is
>actually hand crafted, but I don't remember were. Could somebody give me
>the pointer?
Yeah everything in ASN.1 runtime for LDAP has been hand crafted.  The
stub compiler is not fully operational just yet.  This is something Alan
Cabrera is working on.  All LDAP stubbs were hand woven within the LDAP
common jar as interfaces with classes implementing them.  They are
filled up by this attrocious peice of code that works like the XML
digester in commons.  A bad move on my part.  I will redo this garbage
when I have the chance to use a better mech than firing rules to
populate LDAP stubbs based on tag sequences encountered within the ASN.1
tag stream.  What works for XML SAX processing does not necessarily lead
to a fast ASN.1 runtime heh.

I have a page where I describe what needs to be done to make the ASN.1
RT really fast.  Here's that doc...

I should get to this around next month if someone does not beat me to it.

View raw message