directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tence <vte...@videotron.ca>
Subject Re: [asn.1] sitedocs update for 0.3 dev cycle - new refactoring page is up
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:13:42 GMT
I've been looking into this recently. While I still have a lot of things
to figure out to understand the whole thing, a few question are popping
in my head regarding the refactoring, specifically the ber subproject.

If I'm getting this right, the base idea is to replace an all-in-one
tuple class with an inheritance hierarchy. While I'm all to the idea of
factoring behaviorial differences into specialized subclasses, I'm not
getting how client code is supposed to deal with the specialized tuple
classes. Since they all expose different interfaces, how are codecs
supposed to manipulate them? I would have thought we wanted to hide
their differences in behaviour as an implementation detail rather than
expose them. This way codecs could manipulate the all the tupples the
same way.

I tend to favor a Tell, Don't Ask style of programming, so I'm always
suspicious about getters and classes that are willing to disclose too
much of their internal affairs ;-) Rather than have generic interfaces
for decoders/encoders and tuples that expose their implementation
details, what if we could factored out the operations we want to do with
the tuples into TLV specialized encoders/decoders interfaces? That would
leave us with a much simplier TLV abstraction that our codecs can
manipulate the same way without knowing about constructed vs primitive
vs streamed tuples.

Is that making any sense at all or should I go back study the code and
read that refactoring page once again ? :)

- Vincent