directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [survey] Exiting the Incubator
Date Sat, 15 Jan 2005 04:32:35 GMT

The Directory project is a pretty large undertaking.  There's just a lot
of technology to be groked.  We've done well and have a functioning
server amongst other things.  We have spent about 15 months in the
incubator.  This may shock a few people but again its a massive
undertaking building naming and a directory server.  I think we've got
the critical mass now in terms of community which will soon after a
release grow even larger.  The code is healthy and free of IP issues as
well as any potential TM infringments.  The state of this project IMHO
is, [ready to exit].

Informally I'd like to get a feel for those who think we're getting
close to that time. If we decide now it will probably take us a little
while to start putting the house in order to request graduation.  Also
there are a few things that our PPMC must do.  I think this process
could take sometime: perhaps 3-4 weeks.

Here's my little survey:

Question #1:

What is your opinion with regard to an incubator exit?

[ ] stay incubating indefinately
[ ] I don't care
[ ] let's wait at least _____ months before considering an exit
[ ] the time is about right. Let's start getting ready to exit since the
process will take time
[ ] this project should have exited the incubator a long time ago

Question #2:

If you selected the 3rd answer "... Let's start getting ready to exit
..." are you willing to lend a hand to help make this happen:

[ ] yeah I can help out
[ ] no can't help

Cheers,
Alex